Thursday, April 19, 2007

Kids Central

Boy what a busy afternoon I ended up having. My friend/neighbour's daughter has been visiting her this last week and she has her sons aged nearly 3 years old and three month old with her. I looked after the 3 month old for a couple of hours so nearly 3 and mum could spend some one on one time together. Then my friend finished work and I wandered over with the kids to see what time I was needed to babysit both the kids while they did some personal shopping. It was decided that I would leave my 3 there while I quickly did the grocery shopping.

I was finished and back by half 5 when all the kids came back over to our house and they got picked up again about 8 at which time Tasha decided she needed her "afternoon" nap which lasted less than an hour but about 9 my friend needed to duck back out and her daughter had gone out with friends so the 3 month old ended up back at our place again. The nearly 3 was asleep and left under his uncle's care.

But I came to the conclusion today that while I do still have times when I would like another baby, my life wouldn't be over if I didn't. I enjoyed having the baby here but Tiffany was cluckier than me though at least I know that until the novelty wore off, the only time I would have to do anything for another baby would be dirty nappies and feeds. Tiffany barely let the little fellow out of her arms!

I made some more cookies and cream ice-cream tonight. Good thing the recipe is so easy because everyone but Eddie scoffs it! Eddie has never really been a sweets kid. Makes easter hard but at the same time means we don't have to worry too much about missing out being the adults cause his is there for us! He likes his chocolate plain but doesn't like the little solid eggs!

As for Tasha and Tiffany, they have well and truly inherited their sweet tooth from me! But Becker had better watch out cause Tiffany has developed a liking for dark chocolate which used to be his domain. He has always preferred dark over milk chocolate so for easter he got 2 blocks of dark chocolate, one of which was 70% cocoa so really rich for him. Plus he got a dark chocolate "bunny with the bell" lol

We still have to do the easter thing when we have the step kids next weekend which makes easter (as well as christmas) a bit more expensive. Not only do we have to buy from the easter bunny but also from us. Some people can't understand this but I think it is wrong that our kids get easter bunny stuff but nothing from us when we give the stepkids something. After all, they don't know that we are the ones that buy it all and imagine how unloved they would feel thinking that we didn't love them enough to buy them something for easter. I know it sounds complicated but to try and simplify things. ALL the kids get a visit from the easter bunny (our kids at home and the stepkids at their place) then because it is the "done thing" for the non-custodial parent to give the kids a present for the event it would mean that our kids get the one lot from the easter bunny while the stepkids get 2 lots - 1 from the bunny and one from us. Kids have a very strong sense of what is fair and what is not and they know that isn't fair.

The same goes for christmas but I try to set a limit on what we spend and what santa spends on each child though this year santa is contemplating the merits of a swing set. I am sure Becker will have an opinion on this and it would probably not be good lol. And yes I know it is 8 months away but I effectively have 8 kids to plan for so I tend to work on it through the year.

Which reminds me, we have a birthday to think about in less than a weeks time and presents haven't been sorted!!

My mind has gone blank so I will finish up now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is at times like this, you know times when you go insane /*/what else do you call it when you agree to having 2 extra kids in the house on a day when I am working -thank god- and 1 of them a baby at that/*/ that I am especially glad I have a nice cosy warm quiet taxi to escape to.

You must be mad!

So it seems our little clan is staying at the size it is eh? I like that idea as much as I like the little darlings (babies) they are very demanding and especially with you not being well could you really cope with another tasha or worse ??

No mention of why he doesn't like the solid eggs dear??

No comment on the step kid thing as I am as confused as everyone else after reading that, I think I've got a headache from reading it lol.