Sunday, March 18, 2007

To Hell In a Hand Basket

Well life went to hell in a handbasket Thursday night. Becker was only doing a half shift in the cab as he had his first class (English of all things lol) Friday morning. He is looking to finish his year 10 level. He got interrupted by a phone call from his mother to say her step-father (who was more like a father) was loosing his battle with cancer. He had beaten it a number of years earlier but it had come back with a vengeance. Doctors had only given him 2 years with all the intervention available. This time their estimate was wrong because he only lasted a couple of months. The phone call Thursday night was to say the doctors had given him 24 hours. Again they overestimated as he died within a couple of hours. Now I am not having a go at the doctors because they can only guess and I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the one trying to guess how long a person will live.

Because Becker's mother knew he had a class Friday morning, she didn't tell him until Friday afternoon. The funeral has been scheduled for next Friday morning. I was shocked when I heard that she didn't expect him to attend the funeral in favour of going to school. I didn't realise how screwed her priorities apparently seem to be. But at least it gave me an insight on why on occasions Becker gets his priority confused. I am sorry but if you choose to have children and a family they should come first. I am not talking about providing for them even though that is important. I am talking about being there when your children need you, about knowing that you love them and that they are the most important thing in your world.

I grew up as a latchkey kid and so did Becker but at least I had to advantage of an older sister for company (even if she did make my life miserable) and access to our house. Becker would be expected to sit on the front door step waiting for his mother or step-father to come home and let him in. Not something I think is healthy for any child!

No comments: